"I am out with lanterns looking for myself." ― Emily Dickinson

hello  |   bookmarks  |   bloglovin  |   browse   |   home

May 2, 2017

Book Geek : Recent Reads

Book Geek is my way of being a book blogger without being a book blogger. Here are some books I've recently read and as always, I would only talk about books I recommend reading.
The Marvelous Magic of Miss Mabel by Natasha Lowe
01/ The Marvelous Magic of Miss Mabel by Natasha Lowe
Mabel is very likable. She is an inventor, a very modern person with many mad but great ideas just like any inventor or perhaps a scientist and she is also a witch - something that really adds to the fun. Mabel can be compared to Harry Potter but I think she stands on her own. I enjoy her creative side and her courageous side. Many people oppose her but she carries on and she is very determined. There aren't that many middle-grade heroine out there (that I like anyway) but Mabel have become one of my favorite so far. And I love the cover art by Seb Mesnard and there are also recipes in the back which I haven't try but they certainly look tempting.

Favorite Quote: "...don't you get the shivers just looking at all that space, wondering what's up there? I want to invent a broomstick to fly to the moon."



02/ North Child (formly East) by Edith Pattou
At first, I thought the multiple points of views is too much but I sort of like it because we get into the heads of the characters even though some of them really didn't need to be heard like the troll queen - I didn't care for her no matter much sympathy I felt for her because she basically force someone into a situation that they really could not get out of it. The story runs along smoothly from one character to the next with no problem. Rose is the dominate voice here and we get to hear from her a lot but I kind of wish there are more of the bear's story. I had previously read another retelling of 'East of the sun and west of the moon' and I had expected Rose to journey alone but here Rose gets help and some guidance which I like and it's nice to meet new characters as Rose goes along. I did find the beginning sort of slow but this has been a much more enjoyable read than expected.

Favorite Quote: "...The steps of things are where life is truly found, in doing the day-to-day tasks. Caught up in the world of enchantment as I had been at the castle, it had been the routine things I had missed most, which was why I had set up that laundry room and insisted on doing my own washing. But I had missed so much. Sitting at the table back home and peeling potatoes with my mother and sisters in companionable silence. Feeding the chickens, their urgent feathery bodies crowding my legs, and looking up to see Neddy coming back from the fileds. Going on one of my long exploring walks, having a blister come up on my heel but at the same time stumbling upon a fox den and catching a brief glimpse of a mother fox nursing a brand-new litter of kits. And though I might have wished away the blister, slowing down to favour the pain in my heel was part of how I came to see the kits."



Fairy Godmothers, Inc. by Jenniffer Wardell
03/ Fairy Godmothers, Inc. by Jenniffer Wardell
This is a retelling of Cinderella so I sort of know what's involved. Rellie is a bit of a bland Cinderella here so I didn't have any interest her but that's okay because Kate, the fairy godmother, is the real star here, at least until Jon shows up. Jon is the one that I think to be the most interesting. Being the responsible one is usually a bore but Jon is charming and I guess it didn't hurt he's good looking, kind and a prince and his odd royal family makes it everything more interesting and funny. This is more of a happy romance type of books so no surprises who ends up with who. My favorite scene is where Jon and Rellie tried to resist adoring each other when they are both under a love spell - extremely funny and makes one wonder if spells could somehow make people fall in love or perhaps it's just our own desire to fall in love that makes it so. One thing about the cover - I assumed the lady here is Kate but she has no wings. I guess that shouldn't matter but I sort would like her to have wings.

Favorite Quote: "You know, if you had used the word 'scheming' from the beginning you could have saved us both a terrible headache."



Read any good books lately?

2 comments:

  1. These look charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they're very charming and a lot of fun to read.

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it." -- Kurt Vonnegut