"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream." ― Vincent Van Gogh

hello      bookmarks      browse      bloglovin      home

April 5, 2017

April A-Z : Drafts

under a mountains of drafts
Draft : A first version of an idea that you could not bear to throw away but you keep them around anyway in hopes of using them some day but you never do 
― According to me

When you think about it, everything you do is a draft - a first version that you are certain you want to use but somehow never do. Who doesn't savior the joy of thinking up something brilliant even though it might not be brilliant later on?

I have the word 'draft' all over my text documents full of supposedly good ideas. I have a ton of drawing scans that I'll never finish or even think about finishing. I have drawings on paper that I never finished and they really are drafts. I have sketchbook full of sketches/ideas that I never got around to using. I have them because I saved them. If fact, I would have a room full of papers and notebooks if I didn't have a computer. Of course, this means I have folders labelled 'drafts' everywhere on my computer. Even though I know I'll probably never use most of these drafts, I couldn't bear to throw them away.

I don't know what it is that keeps people from throwing ideas away even when they know it's bad. I know I can't even think about throwing my drafts away simply because they are not being used.

Do you keep your drafts around just because?


To visit other participants in the April A-Z Challenge, go here

13 comments:

  1. I have several drafts of my theses and dissertations lying around... mostly because the earlier versions contain things that I liked, but my committee made me take out, and I'm thinking, maybe I'll use them one day... :D

    The Multicolored Diary: WTF - Weird Things in Folktales

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many drafts and I need to publish them !

    good post!
    http://slimexpectations.com/2017/04/1339/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm writing a series, so sometimes a scene that doesn't work in one book might in another. And sometimes I can be overzealous in cutting and think better of it later. Luckily, I create a new dated file each day I write, so there are hundreds upon hundreds of drafts for every book I write. That way I can go back and retrieve old material as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Scrivener, and when I cut something, I drag it to another folder for future use. I really should keep the draft, though, as well. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More than drafts, I have notebooks full of ideas. So far, every full "draft" I've completed has ended up as a novel in some form or fashion. And if I cut something, I'll use it as a special excerpt or a "cutting room floor" feature for my street team. :-) Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few drafts stashed away, but I prefer to think of most of my projects as works in progress. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your sketch of drafts, buried in them.
    It is hard to throw things out, but I have learned from you, who seemingly freely deletes posts and maybe even entire blogs that it is fine and good to do this. Earlier today I was deleting old posts without any discomfort at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. guess I'm kind of odd, I can easy delete, throw away blog posts but anything that has to do with my writing and drawing, I couldn't seem to throw away.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. I have 50+ draft blog posts "waiting" on something... to be finished, to be developed more, to get completely overhauled. Eventually, I will lose interest in some of the topics and I'll eventually delete them; others will get completed and published.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lissa, I have to chuckle at the definition and write up -- it is SO you! Funny.

    I am actually the total opposite. I tend to overly declutter and when it comes to computer files, like last time I ran out of space on my commputer, I jsut sorted by date. Anything over three years old, I deleted, except for photos from my actual camera (I no longer have) and songs! I go overboard in my deletions but 9 out of 10 times never miss what I could not recall anyway!

    "I don't know what it is that keeps people from throwing ideas away even when they know it's bad."
    -In answer to your question: Marie Kondo (the author of the Japanese Art of decluttering and Magic of Tidying up) addresses this very thing when it relates to actual items and I think there is a parallel there. She suggests that we hold onto most things for two primary reasons: 1. An unhealthy attachment to the past or 2. A fear of the future! After going through her Kon-Marie Method where Alex and I eliminated 80% os what we owned even all our furniture and silverware, plates, etc, to get everything to fit into the back on one pick-up truck, I have to say she is correct overall! If you haven't read her book yet, I woudl highly recommend it. It really is life changing as then the possessions you have, including files, no longer own you, as it were, but you won them and you know where everything is as you have systematically gone through everything. Everything left must bring you joy or be one of those few items one really needs--like a driver's license or passport but even those items can easily fit into a shoebox or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to be honest, I'm not sure I want to declutter my drafts, my home maybe, but I'll check out the book, thanks!

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
    2. Haha, let me know if you do.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it." -- Kurt Vonnegut