February 13, 2017

Book Geek: Favorite 'Beauty & The Beast' Retellings

I've read many, many retellings of Beauty & The Beast since it is my favorite fairytale. Some of them are okay and some of them are not at all like the fairytale and some are simply wonderful. There will be others that I'm sure I'll like but for now these (listed in no particular order) are my absolute favorites.
01/ Rose Daughter / Beauty by Robin McKinley
Beauty is a mostly true to the original story while Rose Daughter is slightly different. I think I like Rose Daughter more because of the rooftop scenes and talk of stars and there is a story within a story. But sometimes I think Beauty is slightly better for its direct storyline and sometimes not.

Favorite Quotes: 
"The Beast was a darkness the starlight could not leaven."
- from Rose Daughter

"There was something about the way he stood there without looking at me: Resignation born of long silent hopeless years sat heavily on him, and I found myself involuntarily anxious to comfort him."
- from Beauty



Beast Charming by Jenniffer Wardell
02/ Beast Charming by Jenniffer Wardell
Beast Charming is actually very charming as the author didn't try to make the characters likable, rather, she makes them real characters in a somewhat real world. I like the banters between all the characters and the fact that in this world, everyone treats magic and curses like everyday, normal things that just happens and even dragons are treated like any normal beings. Beast Charming is the most fun of any retelling I had read.

Favorite Quote: "I'm a huge, hulking monster with anger management issues. I'm contractually obligated to encourage violence and anarchy on principle."



Of beast and beauty by Stacey Jay
04/ Of beast and beauty by Stacey Jay
It seems like the settling is futuristic but there is this strange sense that nothing here is futuristic, rather, they are a bit archaic but I like that. I kind of wish the author had chosen one perspectives instead of three or even omnipresent considering one of the perspective didn't really do much for the story. Other than that, it's a pretty decent retelling plus it didn't have that teenage angst that I just hate reading.

Favorite Quote: "Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have imagined that finding out I've been wrong feel like this. That I would want to pull my beautiful face off the wall and hurl the mirror to the floor, stomp on the pieces until my feet bleed, scream until I lose my voice. That I would wish with every fiber of my being to go back to the way life was before, when I believed myself ugly, when the world and my place in it were perfectly clear."



Barefoot on the wind by Zoë Marriott

05/ Barefoot on the wind by Zoë Marriott
The writing is oh-so lovely and the Japan settling is just perfect. My only complaint is that the end seems rather short. I kind of wish the author had written more about the ending, that is, more details, more explanations, I want to know everything but that's not a real complaint. This is definitely a new (it was released in 2016) favorite book.

Favorite Quote: "His silence and stillness felt like a chasm yawning between us now. And I found that I was sorry - and I wanted somehow to bridge the silence. Not to ask all the questions that burned inside me, to discover just what he meant - how could anyone forget their own name? - or where this strange home of his was, or what had happened to bring me here. Not even to attempt to placate him for my own safety. I had hurt him and I wanted to soothe the wound."



Do you have a favorite Beauty & The Beast retelling?

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were so many versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, there are many & also, almost every fairytales such as cinderella, red riding hood, rapunzel all have tons of retellings. I seem to be reading a lot of retellings lately...

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. I love fairy tales but seem to have stuck with the originals! Interesting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is awesome! I loooove Beauty and the Beast. I've read a few adaptations but none of these. Adding them to my TBR list! Thanks lissa! :D

    ReplyDelete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it." -- Kurt Vonnegut

This blog is powered by Blogger, fairytales, sleeping princes, moon cakes, express trains, faraway friends, a lost memory, a princess dragon, cold weather, the color mint, friendly giants, and the rain. Thank you for visiting & have a lovely day.