"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream." ― Vincent Van Gogh

hello      bookmarks      browse      bloglovin      home

January 3, 2017

Creative Tuesdays: Detention

'Mae Tilly's detention' (click on image for a larger view)
painting by Nigel Van Wieck (left), Kiki's delivery service (right) & Norman Rockwell's 'shiner' (far right)
This week's Creative Tuesdays theme is the story behind this painting above at left. I saw the pink hair band and thought of Kiki from the Japanese animation 'Kiki's delivery service.'  A grown up Kiki but one that still wears pink in her hair and she is thinking back to her school days. And that led to Norman Rockwell's piece called 'Shiner' because I somehow remember it and it just continued from there. Here's the story:
closeup 01 - click on the image for a larger view
Mae Tilly's Detention

Mae Tilly is a witch in training. She is at the principal's waiting room after a flying attempt resulted in a bruised eye and a cut on her knee. Her offense was flying without permission in the school field after hours and breaking the score board. She had smashed against the board when she was unable to stop her broom. Surprisingly, her broom survived without a single break of its straws or a dent on its handle. Mae never have trouble with flying, it's the stopping that she seems unable to master. But Mae have learned her lesson - always fly higher than the tallest structure and never, ever, ask your best friend to catch you when he have trouble catching a ball.

Mae's best friend is a boy named Maz Dash. You could say he was Mae's co-conspirator as he helped her break into the field and he had his broken wand as evidence, not to mention his bruised nose and eye. He had tried to catch Mae when she fell but she landed on him instead. His talent is mostly growing roses out of thin air and dodging balls when he is supposed to catch them.

For Mae and Maz, it's just another day at the principal's office...

closeup 02 - click on the image for a larger view
closeup 03 - click on the image for a larger view
closeup 04 - click on the image for a larger view
For more Creative Tuesdays creations, just hop on over to Michael's CT place.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely contribution to the theme Lissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, haha, thanks for stopping by.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  2. Oh Lissa. I was smiling ear to ear as I read your story. Your imagination is beyond my simple mind, and your illustrations are just beyond magnificent. What a fun story...I loved it. Glad to be back on the CT Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you wanda, I'm always happy to hear I make someone smile, so thanks.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your piece and all the wonderful details!
    Thank you for showing us all the bits by themselves that they don't go unnoticed.
    Wonderful story too. Magic is a favored theme of mine. fun fun. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. magic is a favorite of my too, I often add them to every piece.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Lissa, I am always blown away but your details and stories behind the artwork and this one did not disappoint either. Your work is like the Principal's office--full of the unexpected and bursting with creativity. I love it! So clever and THANK YOU for showing us the details as I was trying to read everything with the screen full screen and struggling. I love your plants that are alive adn the foot print pots too. The whole thing is just so clever. So, with the pin k hair band are you saying the woman on the train is remembering her time as a kid in this school of magic? Maybe then she gave up her arts to travel like most people instead? Haha. Far to dangerous, you know! I love this bit: "and never, ever, ask your best friend to catch you when he have trouble catching a ball." --Sounds like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is one first finished piece of 2017 so I actually love it more. I added a lot of little things but people don't really click on the first full image as I did make a lot larger this time but I added those closeups just in case people don't click on that image.

      & yeah, the woman is looking back at her school days, but she is not necessarily giving up anything, I just think she is traveling to her old hometown and returning to her magical self.

      thanks for the theme/idea.

      have a lovely day.

      Delete
  5. Just magical Lissa as always.

    I wish you the best year ever. Hope 2017 is off to a great start.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least I wasn't sick like I was last year so 2017 did started out nicely.

      thanks for stopping by, have a lovely day.

      Delete

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it." -- Kurt Vonnegut